Each and every person, regardless of profession, is in the industry of hospitality. The interactions you have with everyone create ripples of hospitality that extend well beyond a single moment. To help you create big ripples, we’re joined by an entrepreneur whose mission is to help others let their business-based superpowers shine. Joining the show this week is Host of the Podcast “Coffee with Kim” and Co-Founder of Bright Ideas Only, Kim Kaupe. Dan sits down with Kim to learn about why LinkedIn is the best platform to focus your energy on, how we are all in hospitality, and how to be more confident when evangelizing your own work.
- Hospitality is the stone you throw into a pond and the impacts on others are the ripples in the water. It is also how people talk about you when you’re not in the room, how you make them feel, and what people are walking away from interactions with.
- Being the champion of your own accomplishments is difficult. Speak about yourself as you would your best friend. Don’t be afraid to acknowledge accomplishments, highlight your skills, and be direct when asked about your career responsibilities.
- Business awards, like the “40 Under 40”, can help further your professional goals and raises. Following in the thread of being the champion of your accomplishments, you can also nominate yourself for these awards without fear of being underqualified.
- If you only have time for one social platform, LinkedIn is the best. It’s the only one that is crawled by Google so content doesn’t get lost in the archives. As only 1% of LinkedIn users post, your content won’t be lost in a heavily saturated feed.
- Because LinkedIn shows what your connections comment on and like, it boosts the reach of any content you post, displaying it on a worldwide platform full of C-Suite Executives.
- Share your knowledge and content, whether you think it’s valuable or not. If one person or a hundred thousand people find it important, you made an impact, changed their direction, or taught them something new.
- When running a business, you are pitching not only the product or service, but also yourself in tandem with your brand. By being succinct in describing your skills, you help the client more confidently make the decision to choose you.
Quote of the Show:
- “Talking about yourself or sharing your knowledge will be like the very first pushup in the gym, but you have to keep going.” - Kim Kaupe
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kimkaupe/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/kimkaupe?s=20
- Personal website: https://kimkaupe.com/
- Company website: https://www.brightideasonly.com/
- Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/coffee-with-kim/id1612158856
- 14:23 - Shark Tank: https://abc.com/shows/shark-tank
- 15:08 - Brendan Fraser
- 16:09 - Ben Affleck
- 16:10 - Matt Damon
- 16:11 - Matthew McConaughey
- 16:17 - Sam Rockwell
- 16:36 - Glory Daze: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116422/
- 21:50 - Dolly Parton
- 21:51 - Oprah
- 21:54 - The New York Mets: https://www.mlb.com/mets
- 24:37 - Condé Nast: https://www.condenast.com/
- 28:16 - LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com
- 30:28 - The Miami Heat: https://www.nba.com/heat/
- 33:21 - Gary Vee
- 41:11 - Daniel Roth: https://www.linkedin.com/in/danielroth1/
Ways to Tune In:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/0A2XOJvb6mGqEPYJ5bilPX
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/defining-hospitality-podcast/id1573596386
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZGVmaW5pbmdob3NwaXRhbGl0eS5saXZlL2ZlZWQueG1s
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8c904932-90fa-41c3-813e-1cb8f3c42419