When it comes to finding the right workplace, the environment matters much more than the work. This week, we’re joined by a designer who understands firsthand the value of creating welcoming environments in both her workplaces and designs. Our guest this week is Lead Designer, Principal, and Founder of AJC Design, Alicia Cannon!
Alicia joins Dan Ryan for a conversation on what being an entrepreneur in the hospitality industry is like. Alicia shares her tips for finding the right environment, what makes starting your own brand worth it, and the best ways to train new members.
- Hospitality is a blank canvas, allowing you to create intentional experiences for guests, providing idyllic escapes and reassuring comforts away from home. It is a gift that brings passion and fulfillment, making it a significant aspect of the industry.
- As a creative, it’s important to understand the environments you do and don’t want to be part of. While a certain company may offer great work opportunities, a misalignment of culture will ultimately be more detrimental to you.
- While going out on your own can be daunting, it opens the door to creative growth. With freedom to travel, you open your eyes to new styles and designs. By observing the work of others, you become a better designer for your clients.
- When training junior designers, it is important to guide them through the fundamentals of interior design, such as writing specifications and understanding the language of the field.
- When seeking internships, explore opportunities at different-sized firms to find a culture and environment that aligns with your goals. It's crucial to prioritize understanding the people you want to work with.
- Establishing a strong brand identity and prioritizing long-term relationships with clients are crucial for success as a business owner. Creating a family-oriented environment and fostering lasting connections can lead to significant growth and loyalty.
- It is crucial for new business owners to anticipate upcoming projects and maintain a steady stream of clients. Planning and preparation are key to ensure a consistent flow of work and avoid potential financial challenges.
Quote of the Show:
- “If something doesn't feel good, It's probably not right.” - Alicia Cannon
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ajc_design/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ajcdesign/
- Website: https://ajcdesign.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ajcdesign
- 01:20 - Cheryl Rowley
- 06:42 - Deborah Geer
- 07:15 - Jody Harley
- 07:16 - Gensler: https://www.gensler.com/
- 07:39 - David Easton: https://www.davideastonarchitect.com/
- 09:51 - Kathy Stein: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kathy-stein-73937814/
- 10:02 - HBA: https://www.hba.com/
- 12:39 - NEWH: https://newh.org/
- 12:46 - University Of Minnesota: https://twin-cities.umn.edu/
- 12:47 - University Of Iowa: https://uiowa.edu/
- 26:34 - Renaissance New York Harlem: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/nychl-renaissance-new-york-harlem-hotel/overview/
- 40:58 - Mason Contract Products
- 41:00 - Charlie Grady: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charlie-grady-7943b914/
- 41:06 - Chuck Greenspan: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chuckgreenspan/
- 41:09 - Häfele: https://www.hafele.com/us/en/
- 41:11 - Len Horowitz: https://www.linkedin.com/in/len-horowitz-0812b37/
- 41:19 - Steve Wachtler: https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-wachtler-con-94206568/
- 41:21 - Amatex
- 41:43 - Stella D'oro
Ways to Tune In:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/0A2XOJvb6mGqEPYJ5bilPX
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/defining-hospitality-podcast/id1573596386
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZGVmaW5pbmdob3NwaXRhbGl0eS5saXZlL2ZlZWQueG1s
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8c904932-90fa-41c3-813e-1cb8f3c42419