Our guest this week is a highly creative and service oriented design leader who loves learning from others. She’s a trailblazer who worked to carve out a space in the industry to truly be herself. Joining the show this week is Managing Principal at KNA Design Los Angeles, Alisa Chodos!
Alisa sits down with Dan Ryan for a discussion on her hospitality journey. She dives into the importance of learning from others, why it’s ok to make mistakes, and the warmth of the hospitality community.
- Hospitality is the business of service, and design is theater. Hospitality is the backdrop through which people create connections and experiences. To properly execute requires a blend of design and management.
- In the ever-evolving world of design consulting, learning goes beyond the classroom. It's about gaining firsthand experience, adapting to different environments, and embracing teamwork as the cornerstone of success.
- While the hospitality industry has come a long way, it has faced many diversity issues. When Alisa first started, not many women were involved in the design process. She continued to push on, and refused to conform.
- It is important to learn from mistakes, have fun, and collaborate with others to spur creativity. Embracing new perspectives and exploring unconventional ideas can lead to better solutions and promote camaraderie and teamwork.
- Working with a diverse group of people can provide new perspectives and inspiration. Emphasizing the importance of incorporating cultural and historical references in design projects can lead to cohesive and relevant outcomes.
- Designers should prioritize maintaining a positive and enthusiastic mindset towards their work to cultivate motivation and creativity. Embracing feelings of exuberance and discovery can lead to increased productivity and job satisfaction.
- The hospitality industry thrives on strong relationships and collaboration. The support, generosity, and professionalism of its people make it a fortunate and rewarding field to be a part of.
Quote of the Show:
- “I feel like I'm not really learning unless I'm challenged and a little bit scared.” - Alisa Chodos
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alisa-chodos-0a112037/
- Website: https://www.knadesign.com/
- 01:29 - Cheryl Rowley Design
- 01:33 - Kimpton Hotels: https://www.ihg.com/kimptonhotels/hotels/us/en/reservation
- 02:00 - HBA: https://www.hba.com/
- 02:31 - Howard Hirsch
- 02:32 - Michael Bedner
- 04:06 - Kirk Nix: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kirk-nix-4a5077117/
- 08:55 - Lisa Janigian
- 10:40 - Hilton Chicago: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/chichhh-hilton-chicago/
- 13:41 - Barry Design
- 13:41 - Larry Lee
- 13:42 - Wimberly Interiors: https://www.watg.com/wimberly/
- 13:48 - Michael Smith: https://www.michaelsmithinc.com/
- 22:01 - Bob Barry
- 27:01 - White Swan Hotel: https://www.whiteswanhotel.com/en
- 43:26 - UCLA: https://www.ucla.edu/
Ways to Tune In:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/0A2XOJvb6mGqEPYJ5bilPX
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/defining-hospitality-podcast/id1573596386
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZGVmaW5pbmdob3NwaXRhbGl0eS5saXZlL2ZlZWQueG1s
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8c904932-90fa-41c3-813e-1cb8f3c42419